There are no online courses scheduled for Spring 2020. Please check back later in the program year.
ONLINE: Jungian Dream Interpretation
Live online audio class with active student discussion.
5 Tuesdays, 7:00–8:30 pm, Eastern Time, USA
October 1 - November 5, 2019 (excluding October 8th)
Instructor: Maxson J. McDowell, PhD, LMSW, LP
(On October 1st, the class will open at 6.30 so that, if necessary, you can test your equipment.)
7.5 CE contact hours for licensed NYS Social Workers, Psychoanalysts and Creative Arts Therapists.
Please note: For licensed NYS Social Workers, Psychoanalysts or Creative Arts Therapists applying for CE credit to receive accreditation, students must attend all sessions. Please be sure to send us your NYS profession and license number.
We don’t know where dreams come from but, from experience, we know their purpose. They show us the next possible step in our developing consciousness. They warn us if we are going astray, encourage us if we need it and offer penetrating insights into our confusion. To interpret dreams we have to be disciplined and logical but also emotional, feeling, imaginative and sensate. Using Jung’s concepts as our guide, we will combine our insights to explore each dream and feel success when the class as a whole recognizes an answer and experiences a deepening of consciousness. We will not work with class members’ dreams. Please bring a dream, with permission, from a family member or friend.
Maxson J. McDowell, PhD, LMSW, LP, is a senior Jungian analyst in private practice in New York City. Former President of the C.G. Jung Foundation for Analytical Psychology, he is also a faculty member.
How the Audio Class Works
Participants log on to their computers, where they listen to the presentation and can interact via their web connection or by telephone. This is a live online-only class. There will be no recordings available. After registering for the class, you will receive an email with complete instructions, and a link to access the class.
When you pay you must also send your current email address and telephone number to the Foundation. The Foundation will send you an email message and you must reply to confirm receipt.
For complete step-by-step instructions see the Instructor's website:
Tuition & Registration
Each course is $175 for the general public and $150 for members of the C.G. Jung Foundation of New York. The full fee must be paid at time of registration. You may pay by mail, by telephone or fax with your MasterCard or Visa, or in person Monday to Thursday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Mail/Person (Make checks payable to the C.G. Jung Foundation): C.G. Jung Foundation,
28 East 39th St, New York, NY 10016.
To Mail or Fax Your Registration,
Click Button to Download Form.
When you pay you must also send your current email address and telephone number to the Foundation. The Foundation will send you an email message and you must reply to confirm receipt. Class size is limited. Early registration is strongly recommended. Refunds for continuing education courses, less $15 for administrative services, will be made up to seven days before the first session. There will be no refunds issued after classes have begun. No exceptions will be made. Programs are subject to change without notice.
On completion of this class, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between associations, explanations, and amplifications to a dream image.
- Distinguish between Freud's and Jung's use of associations to dream images.
- Identify which part of a dream gives the current psychological situation.
- Recognize the dream's setting and its importance.
- Practice using both logic and imagination in dream analysis.
- Identify some physiological reactions of the dreamer which demonstrate a useful interpretation.
- Describe the relationship between a dream and the dreamer's psychological progress.
- Recognize when a dream may (or may not) be helpful in clinical work.
- Recognize what Jung meant by a "true symbol"
Technical Information / Equipment
- You will need broadband connection, e.g. DSL or cable, and a Mac or PC computer.
- For easiest use and best sound you should buy a plug-and-play USB microphone headphone. Skype recommends several brands. You can order it online from Skype or Amazon or Best Buy.
- Instead, you can use any computer with a good microphone and speakers.
- Or you can use your telephone for the audio connection. Note: even if you use your telephone, you must also be logged in via your computer. Be aware of long-distance charges.
- For complete step-by-step instructions see the Instructor's website: Jungian Dream Interpretation - Online
For additional information, contact the C.G. Jung Foundation:
212-697-6430 or email: email@example.com